Google has integrated chat platforms across all of its products into one single platform named “Hangouts“. This is an advanced version of the old Google Chat. Hangouts make the chatting experience across all the platforms a lot easier.
Hangouts is given a codename “Babel”. While Hangouts offer good user experience, it has some defects. Here are some important defects in the Hangouts.
Defects in Hangouts
- There is no proper display of online status of your contacts.
- The old Google Chat displays a green circle before the contact’s name when they are online. Of course, you can set your status as busy and offline.
Update: Hangouts now show a green circle when a contact is online.
- Hangouts does not have this feature. You may have to either “Snooze” Hangouts for 1 hour, 8 hours or 48 hours or you have to sign out of Hangouts completely which is not at all recommended.
- As of now, the Hangouts app for Android doesn’t show the online status of your friends.
- In web version of Gmail, there is green line below the image of your friend who is online. This is hard to catch when compared to the old green circle.
- I can’t view custom messages of others.
- I can’t update my custom message.
How to remove Hangouts on Gmail on Web – Revert back to Google Chat
Follow three simple steps as I explained in this video
It is very easy to remove the Hangouts and revert back to Google Chat. Follow these simple steps:
- Sign into Gmail.
- After Hangouts section is loaded, click on your name and choose Revert to old chat.
This option is only available in Gmail and is not available in Google Plus.
Note: The old format is no longer available.
If there is a problem, try this in another browser.
- Click on the button which says Revert to old chat in the confirmation dialog box.
Now you will be reverted back to Google Chat from Hangouts.
How to revert back to Google Chat on Android devices?
Here is the procedure to revert back to Google Chat (Google Talk) on Android devices (both tablets and smartphones). Thanks to our reader, Pamela, for informing me about this procedure.
- Open Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.
- Find Hangouts app and click on it.
- Click on Uninstall updates.
- A message appears – “Do you want to uninstall all updates to this Android system application?”
- Click on “OK”.
Hangouts app disappears and you will have Google Chat (Google Talk) back on your Android device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I revert back to old Google Chat in Android devices with version 4.3 and above?
No. Google has removed the ability to revert back to old Google Chat with Android 4.3 update.
20 May, 2014: Google has updated Hangouts recently and improved the UI.
- All images of contacts now appear circular instead of a rectangular format.
- If a contact is online (even that is you) a green circle appears. This is way better and clearly visible than it was before (a green line is shown under the image which is hardly visible.)
Have problems? Let me help you!
If you have problems to revert back to the Google chat, let me know. I will try to solve your problem using Team Viewer. Contact me.
In case you ever wanted to try the Hangouts again, just click on your name and click the option Try the new Hangouts.
Last updated: June 10, 2014